One of the most popular ways to lose weight is to limit calorie intake. But now we will give you 5 reasons why this tactic in itself is harmful to health:
1. Reduces the rate of metabolism. If the regular amount of calories we normally eat is unexpectedly limited, then the rate of metabolism may decrease. As a result, the amount of calories burned is reduced, which has no effect in the fight against excess weight. In other words, the body will try to stock up on every gram of food consumed because it has decided that there is a famine. Therefore, the loss of muscle mass will be much more significant than we want.
2. Causes fatigue and nutrient deficiency. Regular intake of less than the required calories per day provokes fatigue and does not allow a person to receive the necessary nutrients for his health on a daily basis. Due to calorie restriction, we can deprive the body of the necessary levels of iron, folic acid and vitamin B12, which provokes anemia and extreme fatigue. Some researchers claim that such diets cause apathy and fatigue, as well as lead to loss of protein, calcium, vitamin A, magnesium and biotin.
3. Reduces fertility. Bad news for women who want to become mothers and plan to lose weight before conception. Reducing daily caloric intake negatively affects fertility. This is due to the fact that ovulation depends on hormone levels. In addition, an increase in the amount of estrogen and luteinizing hormone (LH) is necessary for the onset of ovulation. But research shows that the level of LH largely depends on the amount of calories consumed – the less they are, the lower its levels.
4. Weakens bones. Eating fewer calories also has a negative effect on bones, as estrogen and testosterone levels drop. These two reproductive hormones are important for the formation of bone mass and increase its mineral density.
5. Decreases immunity. Another serious danger for those who limit calories. This makes them more vulnerable to viruses, especially if the reduction in calories is accompanied by increased physical activity.